Accident leads to Meadowdale grad's passion
Burned Children Recovery Foundation battling to stay in business
Last updated 11/15/2020 at 1:32pm
Michael Mathis has always been a fighter.
That was never more evident than when he was 11 and nearly lost his life in a horrific accident at a friend's house near Paine Field in Everett.
Mathis went to spend the night with his friend. The two were camping outside. Because it was cold, Mathis' friend poured gasoline on a campfire.
Suddenly, and without warning, the gas can exploded: Mathis saw a big flash that knocked him to the ground.
"I thought I was laying in fire," Mathis said. "The gas blew up on me. ... I was watching the skin melt off of my arms. I knew I was in shock. I didn't feel...