Edmonds Beacon - Your Hometown News Source

Update: Edmonds officer nabs suspect in fatal collision; victim identified


Last updated 1/16/2019 at Noon

The driver of a speeding vehicle that reached speeds of up to 100 mph and caused a fatal collision on 76th Avenue West in Lynnwood was pursued and arrested by an Edmonds police officer.

Police continue to investigate the fatal collision that occurred Jan. 13 in the 19800 block of 76th Avenue West, near the busy intersection with 196th Street SW.

The location is just east of Edmonds city limits.

The collision occurred at about 3:45 p.m., according to Lynnwood Police Cmdr. Sean Doty. He said that preliminary information is the suspect in a 2017 Jaguar XE was northbound on 76th – where the speed limit is 30 mph – and struck the driver side of a Chevy Aveo leaving a private driveway and ended up on top of a parked, unoccupied Jeep Patriot, parked legally in the southbound lane of 76th.

The 29-year-old suspect fled the scene of the collision on foot, ran into the QFC and fled out the back of the store, but was captured by Edmonds Police Officer Nick Bickar, who had been chasing him, according to court documents.

The Edmonds officer was stationary at the City of Edmonds maintenance facility on 210th Street SW when he saw the car speeding northbound on 72nd Avenue West in the 21000 block. He saw it run a stop sign at about 40 mph.

Bickar began pursuing the car on 208th Street SW. According to court records, he sped up to between 50 and 60 mph northbound on 76th, but the suspect’s car was rapidly moving away from him. The officer then backed off a full pursuit due to the speed of the suspect’s car, and turned off his emergency lights, according to the report.

Bickar continued driving north of 76th and came upon the scene of the collision, which struck the 66-year-old driver of the Aveo, who was transported to Harborview Medical Center, where he later died from his injuries.

He was identified as Khanh Tran of Seattle.

The suspect – who is from Kenmore – was arrested for investigation of vehicular homicide, hit-and-run death and eluding police.

Bail was set at $200,000. The deadline for charging the suspect is 5 p.m. Thursday.

According to court documents, the suspect was a wanted felon; he has several charges regarding criminal traffic on his records and is a convicted felon for possession of a stolen firearm. He had aluminum foil and smoking pipe when arrested.

He admitted to police that he was the driver of the Jaguar.


Reader Comments


Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020